Friday, June 17, 2016

Bittersweet Blessings: Czech Republic


Here I am… sitting in my room in Kearney, Nebraska, smack dab in the center of the United States. It is currently thunder storming which pretty much sets the mood with how I am feeling about being back in the grand ol’ USA. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude while reflecting on my illuminating experience abroad. Who knew some town in the Czech Republic which I had only lived in for 3 months would become more of a home to me than my 20 years of life in Kearney, Nebraska.
On the drive home from the airport I couldn’t believe I was actually back and that my adventure was as a matter of fact, over.  No story I share with my loved ones will ever be the same as reminiscing with those who literally shared that moment with me. It felt just like yesterday when we all piled into the bus at the Prague airport, put our headphones in as the sun went down, and made our way to some little town called Olomouc. I distinctly remember listening to James Bay’s album all the way there unsure of what this adventure would bring me, yet thrilled by the uncertainty.
With this I was blessed enough to encounter… 25 Americans who bonded incredibly, 23 different plane rides, 20+ cherished polaroid’s from each city, 12 countries that grasped my entire heart, 7 extra pounds probably from Milka bars, 4 astonishing soul-sisters, 3 months abroad, and 2 intelligent professors Jan and Martin. Last but not least, me: an individual who grew in ways that no other experience could possibly allow me. This one single adventure has changed me in ways that only the deep and dustiest corners of my soul will ever begin to understand. In the end of it all I may have had lack of sleep, an insufficient amount of water, as well as gained a little weight, but what I internally gained from this experience overpowers all of those things. I strongly believe that every little moment that took place during this adventure happened exactly the way it was supposed to.
It’s quite humoring how hard it has been to adjust back to “The Good Life” here in America. I say this because through this experience I learned so much about who I am and the kind of person I want to be, as well as the type of life I want to live. Arriving back to Kearney I began to notice that my surroundings were left unchanged and there was something about that which was very unsettling. It showed me that this little town in Nebraska is uninspired and that nonsense is not allowed anywhere near me. After experiencing the love and culture of 12 different countries I refuse to sit around and live my life just to exist. There is a new kindling fire burning in my soul to go out in this world and make something of myself.
I realized that being born and raised in this average town of 30,000 that there is so much more to life than just going through the motions. Discovering that each and every country and city had different little pieces to offer me that made me whole. Life is not about just doing what you have to do to get by, it’s about finding your souls purpose and thriving unconditionally. After 20 years of life I was able to thrive in a place that is so far from actual home. The Czech Republic will always hold near and dear to my heart, but I know that someday I will return because this wild soul of mine was not meant to stay in one place. It brings me great satisfaction knowing there is a beautifully created world out there yet to be discovered.

 
The crazy thing about life is that you can’t have too high of expectations, because that allows the littlest moments to be extraordinary.

"Be bold and don't settle."










No comments:

Post a Comment