Monday, April 11, 2016

A Heavy Heart: Auschwitz/Birkenau


 
Birkenau
This past weekend I had the opportunity to go to Poland and visit the concentration camps, Auschwitz and Birkenau. A couple days leading up to the trip my feelings were a bit jumbled. I then realized I was excited to go so I could learn more and see for myself some of the thing we were always taught about in school. I found myself feeling guilty for being excited to see something that has caused so much harm to a human race. No explanation will ever come close to what actually happened there, as well as the pain and suffering that came within the boundaries of the concentration camps.
On the bus ride to Auschwitz I tried to gather my thoughts so that I would not go into complete shock from heartbreak. At first, I was not sure how I was going to handle physically standing in the largest concentration camp that murdered and tortured 1.1 million innocent human beings. As we arrived, the energy and moods instantly changed as we became aware that we were actually going to see the realness of the Holocaust. 
A Block where prisoners lived

We began our three-hour long tour where we visited different building blocks or barracks where the prisoners lived. One block typically held 700-1,000 people and this blew my mind because the whole time I was comparing it to my home back in America. These blocks that held this extreme amount of people in a single building at once is comparable to being just a little larger than my home that held a total of ten people. Coming from a big family I thought I had known the full extent of living in a crowded and chaotic environment but the reality of that made me realize how blessed I actually am.  

A freight car that deported and unloaded men, women, and children
Unfortunately, the reality of what actually took place inside those concentration camps grew more haunting as the tour went on. When people would arrive to the camp they would be unloaded from the freight cars and were either chosen to be registered and taken one way, or they were told to go in the opposite direction which unknowingly lead them to their execution. Although some were lucky enough to be selected to continue living upon arrival, the harshness of the concentration camp made some consider otherwise. They were required to work ten to eleven hours per day while only consuming 500-600 calories each day. Also, they were only allowed to relieve themselves twice a day. Exhaustion was so extreme that when one would go to use the bathroom they would fall and drown in their own excrement’s. With the conditions being like this it was almost impossible for a human to live longer than four to five months. Our tour guide explained to us that the fate of these prisoners completely depended on the guard’s moods and how they were feeling that day. We were also told that the people were stripped naked before they were executed because when someone is naked they are vulnerable and ashamed which made it easier for the guards to control the prisoner. 

We were able to enter one of the gas chambers which was absolutely frightening. The images of claw marks against the walls will linger in the back of my mind forever. The last thing I am going to mention is the disturbing room that was full of all the human hair that was shaved off before the executions. I had to remind myself to breathe or else I was going to completely lose it and break down. I saw multiple braids that were just chopped straight off but still in a perfect braid. It was then that showed me that the long blonde braid could have belonged to a slender, freckled, rosy cheeked face. That was when I had to leave the room because the loss of someone I didn’t even know and couldn’t even put a face to was too unbearable. In this room we were not allowed to take any pictures, but it would have been unnecessary because it will be forever burned in my memory. There are no words that can describe the heart ache that I am feeling after this very eye-opening field trip. To walk on the grounds where millions of human’s souls remain knowing there is nothing you can do to change history or make the pain hurt a little less.


-- “You had to be of use to survive.”

No comments:

Post a Comment